Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Thursday, September 20, 2007

2 George II: Raw Material

A speech that must make it into Hieronimo's work in progress, 1 and 2 George II.

In a press conference on Thursday, September 20th, George II was asked this question:
Alan Greenspan has come out with a book -- a recent book criticizing you for being fiscally irresponsible. And they're not the first former government officials to come out and be critical of you.

And I'm wondering two things.

First, do you feel betrayed by some of these people who have served you and then have come out and criticized you?

And then, more particularly, can you respond to Greenspan's criticism?
George's response is mind boggling in its puerility: "My feelings are not hurt."

"My feelings are not hurt"?!? What is he, five years old? Really, that was his first thought after a reporter asked a question about Greenspan? To focus on the feelings aspect of the question ("do you feel betrayed?"), and not the substantive part ("can you respond to Greenspan's criticism?"). Really?!? I'm going to try that the next time I'm challenged on some point at a conference: "First off, my feelings are not hurt." Or, "How would you feel if someone pointed out Hugh Plat was not actually considered funny in the seventeenth century?" "I'd say my feelings are not hurt." Good f*cking gracious.

The press conference also produced this gem:
Q: Do you think there's a risk of a recession? How do you rate that?

BUSH: You know, you need to talk to economists. I think I got a B in Econ 101.

I got an A, however, in keeping taxes low...

(LAUGHTER)

... and being fiscally responsible with the people's money.


Ah, yes, as the graph below shows, George II has been a model of fiscal rectitude.


At this point in the play, VPOTUS might smack around the POTUS some after they retreated into private chambers. But I'll leave it to Hieronimo to turn all this into blank verse.

  • At 9/21/2007 08:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    I'm actually surprised he didn't play the umbrage card -- you know "I respect Alan, but I'm offended and a little surprised that he would stoop to playing politics."

    So I'm offended and a little surprised by a president manning up and claiming his feelings aren't hurt, like a six year old girl who's learned to share her Barbies. I guess I've come to expect better double talk from the White House.

     

  • At 9/21/2007 09:02:00 PM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    Wait. Did a reporter at a press conference in Simplicius' psyche just dis Hugh Plat?

     

  • At 9/25/2007 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Yes it did, but my psyche also thinks a lot of reporters are idiots.

     

  • At 10/16/2007 09:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Ooh, will there be a hot poker involved in George II?

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main