Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Friday, December 28, 2007

Snowy Day at MLA

This was one of my favorite books as a child, but today is not a snowy day to remember fondly through the rose-tinted glasses of childhood nostalgia. In fact, I'm currently sitting in my hotel room afraid to go outside--and not for the usual MLA reason, the desire to avoid the hordes of anxious, wild-eyed interviewees who can make your stomach tie itself in knots as you remember the single most embarrassing interviewing experience you have ever had ... What? That isn't the first thing that pops into your head at MLA? Maybe that's just me, then.

It's about 1,356 degrees below zero right now and snowing hard, up to 6 inches before we're through, and I have no boots and I am seriously considering ordering myself a $16 bacon and eggs platter and watching TV all day. But I won't. I will be a good soldier and trudge over to the main conference hotel and even possibly attend a session or two. Why? Because of my devotion to learning and scholarship, my eagerness to discover new areas of important research in my field? No.

It's all because of my devotion to you, our conference blogging readers. You see what I will put myself through for you? I am willing to trudge through mountains of "lake-effect snow" and face the bitter Chicago winds just to find material to blog about, so you can sit in your warm home and enjoy. What I wouldn't do for you... There. Now it feels like childhood.

  • At 12/28/2007 12:02:00 PM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    Yeah: this is the point at which I'm really glad that my social secretary booked us a room at the Hyatt.

    I didn't leave this place after getting in yesterday, even though it meant spending about $100 on dinner at the bar (okay, not all of that was food), and I'm hoping not to leave it for many hours today.

    (Whose idea was Chicago, anyway?)

     

  • At 12/28/2007 01:28:00 PM, Blogger St. Eph wrote…

    Aha! Chicagoans may be insane, but we're not stupid. I give you, The Chicago Pedway!

    http://www.spiegl.org/pedway/pedway.html

    Shoe-friendly! Only slightly creepy!

     

  • At 12/28/2007 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Now I remember what I don't miss about the Windy City. Apparently back in the day, some neighborhoods near the lake used to have ropes on poles at the street corners, so you could hold on while you wait for the light to change.

    I'm glad to enjoy this MLA at a distance, vicariously, via blogosphere.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main