Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SAA 2008: Deep Thought

SAA seminars are like a blind date with ten to fifteen strangers at one time.

  • At 3/13/2008 01:02:00 AM, Blogger St. Eph wrote…

    Any further and less-frightening advice? For those of us heading out for our first time? And both freaked-out by and dying to see this so-called "dance party"?

     

  • At 3/13/2008 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Nothing beyond the usual: be nice and sound interested. All of my seminar experiences have actually been pretty cordial. Good luck!

     

  • At 3/13/2008 11:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    So, what's the status of live-blogging SAA? Did anyone go to the paper sessions today? Or, like me, trying to justify spending $200 on Taylor's new Middleton? I actually sort of enjoyed the reception at the sculpture garden...

     

  • At 3/14/2008 04:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    I liked the corn chips at the reception. Great hummus too.

    Is it me or is Dallas a complete wasteland? Street after street of office buildings and multi-storey car parks. Where do people eat? Texas is weird.

     

  • At 3/14/2008 04:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    I wrote the comment last night after one too many Shiner Bocks. Did the lunch time talk seem like an improvement over some of what we've heard the last few years? Who knew that Peter Holland is on Second Life?!

    The paper sessions this year feel as if they've been taken up a level from the uneven panels of the last couple of years too.

    But as for Dallas.... Yes, it does seem a bit of a desert.

     

  • At 3/15/2008 02:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    I'm interested to hear what the BtR folks thought of Mary Bly's paper. And what about Miranda as revenant and The Tempest as sci-fi? Inquiring minds, etc.

     

  • At 3/15/2008 07:53:00 PM, Blogger Unknown wrote…

    I am tempted to sleep with Taylor's Middleton under my pillow, so my advice is to buy it! I, personally, have yet to shill out for the Companion, but my ex assures me that it is wonderful. My optician believes the Collected Works to be wonderful because I am spending much less time squinting at EEBO. Plus the editorial choices seem to be sane and there are cool fonts.

     

  • At 3/16/2008 04:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    I certainly hope this is not the demise of BtR live conference blogging. If it weren't for live conference blogging at former SAAs, I wouldn't have had the words for the stupid way I acted auditing a seminar today- I had a Blurt.

    Even if Simplicius and Hieronimo are the only ones who went to the conference, I am still looking forward to a great report.

    Please?

     

  • At 3/16/2008 07:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    For what it's worth, (for t'worth?) i thought this SAA had a ton of really provocative papers. I loved the plenary, the speech at lunch was entertaining (but not so much that i'm going to give second life another try) and if one's to trust the gossip, there were a number of really fab seminars. (Mine was especially good.) And, let me emphasize that free booze EVERY night is a GREAT idea.

    despite this, though, my overall impression is still just "meh." maybe everything is really just bigger in texas? Though the ideas were lofty, so, too, were those ballroom ceilings. (What was up with those plastic tube chandeliers? And why was there so much random confetti floating around?) I found myself both energized and filled with ennui. Honestly, I think I missed that little schooner bar from last year. There was just too much space for this cowgirl.

     

  • At 3/16/2008 09:59:00 PM, Blogger Pamphilia wrote…

    I missed the schooner-golf bar too, though I have a soft spot for the Burlesque-house "Venetian Room." I half expected the sparkly ruched gold curtain to rise and show us Gypsy Rose Lee.

     

  • At 3/17/2008 06:20:00 AM, Blogger Bardolph wrote…

    Did anyone else notice that, on route to the airport, there was a down-at-heel bar called 'Hasty Beverages'? This is splendid.

     

  • At 3/17/2008 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    The Venetian was pretty gypsy rose lee. One of my friends also pointed out to me that the first four floors spelled out "GLBT" in the elevator.

    Though I missed "hasty beverages," i did get a chance to visit billy bob's texas, the world's largest honkey tonk. It looked *exactly* like the set from _Roadhouse_.

     

  • At 3/17/2008 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Pamphilia wrote…

    Didn't see "Hasty Beverages" but in the airport found an empty barbershop called "Texas Hairline" which had me giggling for a full five minutes.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main