Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The History of George the Second, continued

A while back I posted the opening of a Shakespearean history cycle about the Bushes. Today the heav'nly muse, that on the secret top of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire that shepherd, who first taught the chosen seed, in the beginning how the heav'ns and earth rose out of chaos, inspired me to continue my efforts. Or maybe it was just the news about Scooter Libby's guilty verdicts that inspired me, I'm not sure.

This is from 2 George II, Act 3, scene 2:

Sound a parley. POTUS discovered in the Oval Office. To him, in haste, VPOTUS and ROVE.

VPOTUS
The time is now, my lord; 'tis you must act
Or else we lose Sir Scooter to the foe--
Hateful and deluded in their souls,
With Bush Derangement Syndrome in their hearts.
You must have mercy on my faithful page.

ROVE
Must!
You dare to give our sov'reign king the must!
Know, Dick, that 'vice' in your addition
Enforces you submit unto your better,
You ought to sue with pliant knee, with voice
As reedy as the hymning puritan.
(To POTUS) My lord,
The enemy redoubles his assault,
In Congress where they woo the people's voice
And seek to make your courtiers stoop to them,
The falconer fly aloft at falcon's call,
The horse to ride the horseman, and his fox
To hunt his hounds throughout his home and hearth.
To pardon now were mercy, beyond measure,
Yet kings must kings above all others treasure.
Let Scooter to the hungry crowd be given,
For fear your state and power be further riven.

POTUS
Leave me.
Exeunt VPOTUS and ROVE

Never 'til now have Dick and Karl been so discordant. What shall I do? I fear to insult the one, and I fear more to disregard t'other. To sacrifice Sir Scooter? To yield to my enemy's angry talons one of my choicest lieutenants? And so to look weak before my subjects? 'Tis just that weakness I have always sought t'avoid; that weakness did my father undermine. And yet, were I to pardon, do I not remove him from the lion's jaws by placing my own head there in his stead? What would Our Lord and Savior do? Though Judas him betrayed, he pardoned all. And shall I not pardon one who has refused to betray us, and in that refusal fallen? (He picks up a book and reads) This book has never failed to provide sound advice: A friend in need is a friend indeed. So, trusty Bartlett, you have again proved my wisest and most privy councilor. I am resolved.
Exit.

  • At 3/06/2007 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    "So, trusty Bartlett..."

    Genius (even if untrue--Bush trusts his gut; he doesn't read books).

     

  • At 3/07/2007 08:57:00 AM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    this is, again, startlingly good. drop out of school and do this professionally, H.

     

  • At 3/08/2007 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    I like the ambiguity of this conclusion. After all--who knows what Bush might interpret "a friend in need is a friend indeed" to mean?

    The closing lines could imply that, inspired by Barlett, Bush--who thinks of himself as the guy who comes through no matter what--will pardon his buddy just to prove what a good friend he (Bush) is. . . or they could suggest that Bush is more than happy to let Libby take the fall (because that's how you know a true friend: he's the guy who is in need--with no obligation to relieve that need, on the part of the other friend, necessarily implied).

     

  • At 3/08/2007 03:54:00 PM, Blogger Pamphilia wrote…

    Bravo! More, please . . . perhaps we should organize a reading at RSA? (In masks and funny hats, of course, to protect the innocent).

     

  • At 3/09/2007 07:05:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Flavia: you are a brilliant reader. I did intend some ambiguity there, although not quite in the (nice) way you add. I meant that Bush could be saying that he is himself in need and so Libby will have to be his true friend and take the fall if he wants Bush to remain his friend. Maybe that's the same thing. In either case, I was going for a sort of Marlovian "Edwardum occidere nolite timere bonum est" kind of ambiguity.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main