Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Thousand Twangling Instruments

Two students of mine came to my office hours yesterday and began to pepper me with strange high school newspaper interview questions: "Who is your hero?" "Do you have any secret talents?" "How many pairs of shoes do you own?" Things like that. Ordinarily, I would have told them to direct all personal questions to my lawyer/PR person, but these being two students that I like -- kind of arts-oriented, smart, hippy-ish dudes -- I first asked them what the hell they were doing. "We can't tell you," they told me. Is this for a website thing, or are you taking a journalism class? "No." Will a lot of people hear the answers to these questions? Sly looks at each other. "Maybe, but not in a bad way." You're not going to ridicule me somehow or make me look like an asshole in public? "No... nothing bad is going to happen." So I answered their questions, except for the hero one, which utterly stumped me. After they got to the end of their half-assed list ("If you could make or abolish any three laws, what would they be?" "Do you have any hobbies?" "What kind of music do you like?"), they started talking about the band they were forming ("kind of a punk/ska/reggae-style thing"), and asked me if I knew any drummers. No, I don't know any drummers. But I did, suddenly, figure out what was up with all the questions.

They are writing a "Punk/Ska/Reggae-style" song about me.

They confirmed, blushing, that this was the case, and that all they had so far was the chorus, which they sang for me in ridiculous off-key hippy dude fashion: "Truewit, whoa ohhh... Truewit, whoa ohhhh..." Cute and petrifying simultaneously. The reggae part is especially petrifying. I think I could handle a three chord rock song, but if there's a space jam in the middle of "Truewit, whoa ohhh," I'm going to be very upset.

  • At 4/11/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    I imagine "Truewit" sung to the tune of Biz Markee's smash hit "Just a Friend": "Truuuuuuuue wit'got what I need, / But you gave me just a B, / And you gave my friend a C, / Oh baby...."

     

  • At 4/11/2006 04:48:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    I had some students once name their pet goldfish after me. I wasn't sure what to make of that.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main