Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Random Non-Renaissance Post

So, while we wait for this exciting three-way photo-finish between Lupton, Shuger, and Halpern to be resolved, I want to share my very non-Renaissance enjoyment of a sign in a store in my neighborhood. The store offers a display of what I would describe as fairly modern, sleek-looking furniture. I can't tell whether it's really boutique-y and designer-y, or just sort of as-if, but at any rate, they're trying for something. Which somehow makes it all the more odd to me that, prominently displayed in the window, they have a sign informing passers-by,

"All items
for sale
for prices."

I like the fact that someone at this store has apparently felt the need to explain to those of us on the street exactly what "store" means, and what we should do about it. I've just read a page in Jonathan Gil Harris's Sick Economies, about how the shop was a new phenomenon in the late sixteenth century. Apparently, in certain parts of Major U.S. Metropolis, it still may be.

I enjoyed Gil Harris's book very much, by the way. So, this turned out not to be a wholly un-Renaissance-y post.

Now, maybe in the meantime we've resolved our suspenseful book crisis.

  • At 4/06/2006 01:15:00 AM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    What a nice piece of found poetry. I love the enjambment.

    Reminds me of a sign I saw in a store window in Istanbul: "Sorry, we are not closed!"

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main