Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Allergy Medicine

I have allergies, bad allergies. And it's spring, and trees are flowering, and flowers are blooming, and I am sneezing. So I need allergy medicine, badly need allergy medicine. And because I'm at a new school, I have to see a new doctor to get the same old allergy medicine, the life-changing, glorious allergy medicine that I've been taking for the past three years. And because I have to see a new doctor and because I couldn't remember his name and because late March and early April were busy, I put off making an appointment, not thinking that it would be difficult to schedule one at the university's "world-class medical facility" where I have my insurance-prescribed Primary Care Physician. I was wrong.

I have to wait three weeks, three f*cking weeks, to meet with a doctor to get a prescription. THREE WEEKS! The next available appointment is in three weeks! How in God's green earth can a university doctor's office plausibly believe that THREE WEEKS is a reasonable amount of time for patients to wait for an appointment.

And I should point out, the next available appointment date, the one in three weeks, was given to me before I even told the receptionist what I primarily want to see the doctor about. I simply told her that I'd like to make an appointment and she replied that the next available one was in three weeks. And it's not just the allergy medicine that I need. I have an assortment of other ailments I want checked out, one of which (of course) involves fears of a major illness (and "fear" is the operative word; it's probably nothing more than hypochondria and it involves nothing so crazy as worrying that I have leprosy).

When I point this out to the receptionist and when I mention that I'd prefer not to be sneezing constantly for the next three weeks and when I ask if there's any way not to wait three weeks for an appointment, she says, "No, you have to wait," and hangs up. She hangs up on me! I wasn't snarky or angry or loud or anything. She simply unilaterally decided the conversation was over and hung up without so much as saying goodbye.

So, this is how it appears my school's health system works. If I feel that I'm getting ill, I should schedule an appointment three weeks to a month in advance. I'm tempted to setup recurring appointments every two weeks, just in case, you know, which I'll proceed to cancel if I'm feeling fine.

Three weeks! What world are these people living in?

  • At 4/18/2006 02:47:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Can't they just prescribe Allegra over the phone? It's practically OTC.

    Not to turn this a medical blog.

     

  • At 4/18/2006 03:14:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Nope.

    Is three weeks a normal wait time for an appointment? It was never that bad in my old city, but maybe people are just supposed either a) to plan to get sick weeks in advance, or b) to wait and see if their illnesses become life-threatening, at which point they can go to the emergency room. Is this the way the medical system works in the U.S. nowadays?

     

  • At 4/18/2006 07:44:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    My doctor operates on the "squeeze in." As in, you call at 9 am sharp -- by 9.02 this is all done -- and they "squeeze you in" later that day. I've never actually had a regular appointment. The one time I suggested maybe I could have a regular appointment, the receptionist said it would be, I think, a month, or maybe six weeks before I could see the doctor. So, I said thank you, and please may I have a squeeze-in.

     

  • At 4/19/2006 03:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Hieronimo, I detect a little blog-anxiety in your comment here, so maybe you or one of your fellow bloggers could discuss medical conditions/practices during the renaissance? I imagine they had allergies, but did they have squeeze-ins?

     

  • At 4/19/2006 03:44:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    hey, we,

    There were a couple medical-related posts recently on the great blog, Early Modern Whale.

    One is on dentistry and the other is on metoposcopy (click to find out what the word means).

     

  • At 4/19/2006 05:04:00 PM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    I'm all about the mercury bath, personally.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main