Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Sunday, August 13, 2006

All those twins make me a bit queasy.

Evaluations for my gigantor Shakespeare lecture are in. Best suggestion for improvement:

"Comedy of Errors made me want to throw up."

So noted.

  • At 8/13/2006 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    I start my Shakespeare, part 1 class with Errors, and man, they do not like it. I really need to stop opening with that one. Hey kids, are you interested in water imagery, tired slapstick farce, and jokes about mistaken identity? Then this is the play for you.

    Somehow they don't go for it. But it sets up the first half of the Shakespeare sequence so well, if you want to talk about comedy.

     

  • At 8/13/2006 07:27:00 PM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    I've never taught taught CoE, but I TAed for a lecture that began with the play (happily, this was before section assignments had been made), and I also heard a string of complaints after the fact--although none nearly so, er, evocative as Truewit's.

    ("This is supposed to be funny?" was more along the lines of it.)

     

  • At 8/14/2006 05:38:00 AM, Blogger bdh wrote…

    Whoah, tough crowd...

     

  • At 8/15/2006 09:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Hieronimo! Oh, Hieronimo. It's a comedy of errors that you're not here!

    Ba dum dum.

    So once again I got advice in my evaluations for gigantor lecture class (Shakespeare free, alas) encouraging me to discuss SYMBOLS, which fyi, are things that stand for other things and are also on almost every page of every book if you know where to look. The implication that I don't know where to look was very clear. And yet I was so delighted that someone had seen something on an actual page -- even something that technically was not really on the page, but hey, what's a little interpretive squabble between friends -- that I was gratified all the same.

    Hieronimo, none of my stories are funny without you to hear them.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main