Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Monday, January 07, 2008

Karl Steel is smarter than Charlie Gibson

No, really, he is.

I saw this moment too during the debate, and just about fell off my couch.

And, yeah, I went to MLA: I saw (some good papers, some crazy), I spilled (ice cubes on a distinguished Renaissance scholar), I ate (way too much), I drank (not too much, but with people I like a lot). All in all, kind of an ideal MLA, though I still get freaked out by thousands of literature academics all in one place.

  • At 1/08/2008 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    Great response from Steel--thanks for the link, S.

    Personally, I'm beginning to suspect that hairdressing might have been the way to go.

     

  • At 1/08/2008 10:36:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    I know, my hairdresser (hair stylist? hair cutter?) seems to have a sweet life--he's definitely having more fun than I am.

    As for Karl Steel, I love that his name is not a pseudonym but sounds like it could be. Heck, it could be a superhero's name.

     

  • At 1/09/2008 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    In fact, I initially typed his name as "Steele." As in Remington.

    Which would be awesome in so many ways.

     

  • At 1/13/2008 01:46:00 PM, Blogger Karl Steel wrote…

    Thanks folks. It's just an Ellis Island transformation of my Norwegian grandfather's Staal to Steel.

    In re: 'hairdressing,' from some of the responses I'm getting, it's clear that the US News catalog of professions makes them ALL seem much better than they really are. Sheesh.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main