Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Self-Indulgent (and -Congratulatory) Work Update Post #2

Those of you who follow the minutia of my working life (i.e., zero of you) no doubt remember that way back in May I mentioned that a piece of writing that I thought was due in Fall 2007 in fact turned out (when I actually looked at my contract) to be due in December 2006, which was unpleasant. What I said back then:
This now leaves me with two projects due in October and one in December. Given that I'm changing jobs this fall, moving to a new city, and teaching new courses, I really need to get these three things done this summer.
What actually happened: I got 1.5 of those three things done over the summer, finishing the first one in June (as you can see by my previous Self-Indulgent [but not yet -Congratulatory] Work Update Post), and then got halfway done on the next, when the semester started. Which was not good timing really, if you think about it.

Well, I can now report that I finished the third of those three things this past Friday, on time (barely), somehow managing to get the last 1.5 pieces done during the semester, which I really wanted to avoid. But didn't.

So if you heard a loud exhalation of breath on Friday, that was me.

  • At 12/05/2006 10:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Hey, congrats! That's great news.

     

  • At 12/05/2006 11:41:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Thanks, Flavia! Now let the grading flurry begin.

     

  • At 12/06/2006 02:46:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Grading flurry, huh? Are you teaching even thirty students this semester?

    (Not that grading thirty final papers and final exams is in any way fun.)

     

  • At 12/06/2006 02:55:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Oh no you didn't!

    Yeah, I've got about 40 students this semester, but about 25 of them are doing both a paper and an exam. So I've got about 65 items to grade in the next week or so. Not as bad as you're doing, I imagine.

    But remember what Stalin said: grading one final paper is a tragedy; grading a million final papers is a statistic.

     

  • At 12/15/2006 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Stalin would never have graded a million papers. Pragmatist that he was, he would've killed the students as they were on their way to hand them in, then quietly buried them in a mass grave on the edges of campus. Hmm....

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main