Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Rumsfeld and Godwin's Law

Maybe instead of Godwin's Law, it should be called Rumsfeld's Law instead. I had no idea Rumsfeld was so fond of the Nazi references.

And yeah, yeah, yeah, this is another non-Renaissance post, so here are some random Renaissance observations.

I bought a bunch of C. V. Wedgwood books this weekend (and by a bunch, I mean three).

I'm trying to figure out which Shakespeare films to teach next year. I'd like to do Welles's Othello, but that would mean having to include the Fishburne-Branagh Othello or the high school melodrama O, neither of which I particularly like. So I'm thinking of pairing up the Hamlets of Olivier and Almereyda and the Macbeths of Welles and Kurosawa instead. Doing that, however, means omitting Peter Brook's King Lear and Kurosawa's Ran, and I like Ran better than Throne of Blood. Gah. And if I do go down the Macbeth route, Welles beats Polanski, I think; despite the nudity and violence in Polanski's film, it's ultimately quite boring (how many voiceovers can Macbeth speak/think?).

  • At 3/19/2006 09:36:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    You should do the McKellan Richard III and pair it with Olivier's.

     

  • At 3/19/2006 09:41:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Yeah, but I'm already doing the Olivier and Branagh Henry V's, which are much more important within the history of Shakespearean film. And two history plays by Olivier might be a bit much, though I do love McKellan's Richard. More importantly, I already have a riff I like on the two Hamlet's.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main