Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Teaching Measure for Measure

Today's lesson: Angelo wants to raze Isabella's sanctuary.

Such sweet uncleanness, indeed.

  • At 2/23/2006 01:00:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    That's a good play for weirding students out. The other great moment is when I do Othello's "I'll love thee after" speech and talk about necrophilia, which prompted one memorable student to leap up and say, "Wait a minute! Are you saying he wants to have sex with a dead chick? That is freaky."

     

  • At 2/23/2006 02:22:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Weirding them out? The play weirded me out, and teaching it left me with the queasy feeling that I needed a shower.

    That being said, it was sweet when some of the students in my morning class said they thought Angelo saw a potential soul mate in Isabella. Disabusing them of that idea was fun, if dirtifying, as was our discussion of Angelo's initial hapless attempts at broaching the topic of sex for her brother's life: "Nay, but hear me. / Your sense pursues not mine." I likened his moves to those of high school student--e.g., "Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that you and I were in my basement, and let's say, again for the sake of argument, that I were to lean over and try to kiss you..."--they seemed to find that funny.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main