Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Best SAA Conference Hotel Pairing

2001 - Minneapolis: Shakespeare Scholars v. Mary Kay women. 300 in the think and a million in the pink. Me: "If we consider the ways in which social relationships are both refracted by and obscured under the sign of the imagined -- the "made-up" -- we can successfully re-read the unread as a revised un-vision." Her: "I'm a chief commander second class, but if I sell two hundred more beauty units to my community of sellers I will receive the fourth green rhinestone for my commander badge third division and finally outrank my mother!"

Frankly, we were meant for each other.

  • At 2/19/2006 06:22:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    A couple years ago I got a card from one of my former students. This happens occasionally, and it's generally a nice thing; they write to tell me that they're doing well in law school (95% of those who write are in law school), and that they're grateful for the recommendation I wrote them (when will we abolish recommendations?). This one was a little odder, though; it was an invitation to her Mary Kay presentation, which she thought her old professor, "or maybe your wife or girlfriend," would really enjoy attending. I sort of wish I'd gone.

     

  • At 2/19/2006 07:44:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Hey, my mom used to sell Mary Kay. No joke.

    But it was the 1980s.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main