Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"Shake hands forever, cancel all our vows"

As part of my new determination to read sonnets naively, for affective dynamics I find compelling (without any intention of historicizing them), I want to offer Sonnet 61 from Michael Drayton’s Idea – which I gather is a revision of the earlier Idea’s Mirror, though my lack of knowledge about sonnets means that I know nothing about the differences between these two books. You see that this is also part of my new determination to read obscure or relatively obscure sonnet sequences -- though this particular sonnet appears to be the most-anthologized poem from the sequence.

Since there’s no help, come, let us kiss and part;
Nay, I have done, you get no more of me,
And I am glad, yea glad with all my heart
That thus so cleanly I myself can free.
Shake hands forever, cancel all our vows,
And when we meet at any time again,
Be it not seen in either of our brows,
That we one jot of former love retain.
Now at the last gasp of Love’s latest breath,
When, his pulse failing, Passion speechless lise,
When Faith is kneeling by his bed of death,
And Innocence is closing up his eyes;
Now if thou wouldst, when all have given him over,
From death to life thou mightst him yet recover.

He’s clearly breaking the promise of Sonnet 1 that “No farfetched sigh shall ever wound my breast, / Love from mine eye a tear shall never wring” – though in fairness, that sonnet does end up promising variety as the mode for this sequence, and so “all humors” naturally find their place somewhere here, presumably including love. “A libertine, fantastically I sing,” he tells us: he will be faithful to no one subject. That opening sonnet basically tries to sever this sequence from all expectations carried by the genre, so that it would become possible to write about anything, in a sonnet. I haven’t read enough of the poems to know how close Drayton comes to achieving that goal. But Sonnet 61 seems to mark a kind of lapse back into the story of unrequitedness – assuming the deathbed rescue he imagines in the sestet will not, in fact, take place. So, in an odd way, in Sonnet 61 Drayton is unfaithful to the expectations he sets up, precisely by being faithful to the expectations of sonnetteering. He violates the form by being faithful to it – despite all expectations. This seems to be a lapse that is constantly occuring, in Idea: the sequence keeps falling back into the postures that it began by repudiating.

I assume that this apparent duplicity is really the result of the revision process: that Idea's Mirror, published 1594, is more of a standard sonnet sequence, which Drayton tries to make into something very different in Idea, published 1619 -- but that the older book keeps peeking through the newer one. I haven't done the work to ascertain this. But however it came about, the result is an interestingly "libertine" text.

Sonnet 61 has clearly also inspired countless love-addled adolescents to sing emo songs that imagine meeting the ex after the relationship has died.

I kind of like this rhetoric of “faith,” to talk about form. Jameson calls genre a “contract” between author and audience; but contracts can be broken, promises aren’t necessarily fulfilled. To talk about that in terms of faith means that we can talk about the form of the sonnet sequence in the language of the sequence – longing, hope, betrayal, unfulfillment.

  • At 1/24/2007 11:24:00 AM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Ink: I know you've vowed not to historicize these sonnets, but at the very least you could historicize them within the context of BtR itself!

    Here's the best thing ever written about Drayton's Sonnet 61.

     

  • At 1/24/2007 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Oops. Well, clearly I'm now operating at the intellectual/emotional level that you were as a college first-year.

    I don't remember reading this poem, when I took my "Renaissance Poetry" course as an undergraduate. But then, I don't remember much.

     

  • At 1/24/2007 01:31:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Not me, dude. That's Simplicius.

     

  • At 1/25/2007 05:49:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Yeah, I did some work on this Drayton sonnet a while back. A few comments:

    Where does Drayton rank among 16th- and 17th-century poets? I'm not sure he's taught as much as some of his contemporaries (Sidney, Spenser, Donne, Jonson, Herbert, Herrick, Marvell, etc.), but should he be?

    The last six lines of this poem are bizarre--no wonder I was kind of flummoxed by them when I eighteen. If I were to teach this poem today, I'm still not entirely sure what I would say about Love, Passion, Faith, and Innocence, not mention death and life. And I'm too lazy to figure that out right now.

     

  • At 1/25/2007 06:14:00 PM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    Just want to say that it took me at least three go-rounds before I realized that Love is the antecedent of all those third person possessives in the third quatrain. making me... a lazy reader?

    I'm not so crazy about this one. I like my sonnets to be real puzzlers, and this one strikes me as being a rather straightforward lament, with a turn in the couplet that comes a little too late to feel real to me. "I'm brave, it's cool, love's dying... unless?" is a decent structure, but I'd prefer more development of the 'unless' bit. bravado unhinged is more interesting than bravado with a small hint of collapse.

     

  • At 1/25/2007 11:55:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    No, it's not as good, and the procession of personifications is just bizarre. But I actually kind of like the tone of the last lines -- yes, it's just a slight hint of collapse, but it's perfectly clear that collapse is happening. Just behind closed doors -- which gives it a pathos I can appreciate. In the meantime, there's a clearly counterfactual hope -- which will come to nothing of course.

     

  • At 1/26/2007 12:00:00 AM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Simplicius: as for where Drayton fits -- I have no idea. I have noticed that, as a result of republishing a book from 1594 in 1619, no one seems to be clear what century he belongs in. Mostly I'm aware of him via *Poly-Olbion*, though, and not this text. Or texts.

    Maybe one of our readers can tell us more.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main