Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We get cited.

Well, it's been about a million years since I've posted here, and I know the blog has become pretty dormant. I guess that's the way things are going in our lives these days. And it seems a little self-indulgent to come back from my bloggy deadness to toot our own horn, but I have to say, this is pretty cool.

In the new Blackwell's Companion to Digital Literary Studies, Matthew Steggle has a chapter on "Digital Literary Studies and Early Modern Literature," which includes the following passage:
The newest area of interest in early modern studies, and one where, again, the technology remains to be proven, is the early modern blog. Three early entrants into what will doubtless be a burgeoning field might be mentioned here: Adam Smyth’s Renaissance Lit Blog, the collaborative project Blogging the Renaissance, and Sharon Howard’s Early Modern Notes. At the time of writing, blogs are yet to prove themselves as respectable tools of the early modern researcher: but, given the trajectories followed by discussion lists and e-journals, it is surely only a matter of time.
How nice, and how strange, to find this blog mentioned in a scholarly book. I would only make one slight correction to Steggle's remarks: no matter how much time we are given, Blogging the Renaissance will never prove itself respectable. For Jebus' sake, we spend most of our time talking about Pimpmaster Generals (or is that Pimpmasters General?), early modern fly-in-the-soup jokes, and deer droppings.

  • At 8/27/2008 04:00:00 PM, Blogger Flavia wrote…

    I'm enjoying the idea of someone proving himself a "respectable tool"--whatever that might entail.

     

  • At 8/28/2008 03:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Well, I guess: a "respectable tool" is a tool to be looked at with awe and respect, but not something to put to real use. So: I'd say: better keep BtR as it is, without transforming it into such a thing.

     

  • At 8/28/2008 03:26:00 AM, Blogger bdh wrote…

    Does my thanking Hieronimo and BtR in a forthcoming chapter count?

     

  • At 9/03/2008 10:11:00 AM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    I cannot believe I am now considering adding BtR to my tenure file.

     

  • At 9/08/2008 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Pamphilia wrote…

    Firstly, Congratulations!


    Second, I think that rather than "respectable tools of the early modern researcher" (which would technically be impossible, since early modern researchers lived long ago- in early modern times) I think of BtR as a "humorously irreverent examination of the early modern period." (I don't know why I put those quotes there).

    And finally, the only "respect" you'll get from me is Ali G Style "Respek" (back at you).

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main