Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

This Post Contains No Complaints, Dissatisfaction, Anxiety, or Snark

My new favorite song is a ridiculous thing, "Itchycoo Park," by The Small Faces. Well, it's not my favorite, but I've been a little obsessed with it over the last few days. I found it on an old "History of British Rock" double-lp set I picked up somewhere for about $1.99. I guess the song is pretty famous -- it's got to be on the soundtrack to one of the Austin Powers movies, somewhere -- but if you haven't heard it, it's a simple little story about skipping class and going to the park to, uh, hang out. (And, for the benefit of any students on our site trolling for interpretations of Drayton sonnets, let me say that I would never, ever condone doing anything like that). But what makes it worth while is this great refrain, which is just a single line, repeated over and over:

"It's all too beautiful"

Which I love. Yes, it is all too beautiful. Despite the end of SAA; despite post-SAA anxiety; despite having had to get back to teaching today; despite a cold snap that seems to be freezing the buds on the trees; despite the stack of papers I should be reading; despite the fact that I'm totally unprepared for my next class and haven't even managed to catch up on sleep from my appalling trip home; despite even the uncomfortable itchyness of the park for which the song is named. (According to Wikipedia, "The 'itchycoo' nickname is attributed to the huge quantity of stinging nettles which grew there and of which both the local children and courting couples fell foul.") Somehow, walking down my street today, I could completely appreciate the perfect, ecstatic, irresponsible little moment the song describes, and that sense that the world is somehow too much. But too much in a good way.

(Oh, ... And in the Renaissance, people liked going to parks too. And stuff).

  • At 4/12/2007 05:06:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Gah--it's none too beautiful here. I'm having a miserable week.

    Now I ruined your post. Bwwaah hah hah hah!

     

  • At 4/12/2007 05:25:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Yeah, I'm in the office now and my little happy moment is long gone. In any case, it probably had a lot to do with *not* being in the office, or in the break from a 3-hour seminar. Oh well. Just felt I needed to follow up my anxiety fest with something else.

    Sorry to hear you're having such a bad week. Just think: it's almost over.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main