Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Saturday, May 06, 2006

But that was in another country...

New Kid is conference-blogging from Kalamazoo and has an interesting post involving: a blogger meetup, meditations on blogging pseudonymously vs. non-, Conference Inferiority Complex, Blogging Inferiority Complex (a much more serious disease, no doubt), book exhibit envy, seeing your old advisors, smelly old men, and an old woman whose "hair is dyed about four different neon colors - orange, gold, fuschia, and purple."

I tend to think of medieval as really "another country" from Renaissance, but reading about Kalamazoo, you might as well be at RSA. Good to know we're not alone.

  • At 5/07/2006 10:44:00 AM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    I've actually been surprised to learn in the past couple of years that there is, in fact, a sizeable Renaissance contingent at Kalamazoo -- mostly Spenserians and Sidney Society-ists, but they're there. Spenser makes sense, Sidney a bit less so, but in general, there is an RSA overlap. Am I wrong, Inkhorn, or didn't you go one year?

     

  • At 5/07/2006 01:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    That's funny. I started reading the same post cited here and didn't get past the bit on Tempur-pedic mattresses before I was off looking for a new bed. Thanks for redirecting.

     

  • At 5/07/2006 03:08:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Uh, yeah, I went -- I guess now people know I've at least spent time among the Spenserians and/or Sidneians. But I'm a bird of many feathers. Kalamazoo is a weird medievalist summer camp. The key to it is, I think, not to stay in the dorms -- shell out a little money and stay in a hotel. Not that downtown Kalamazoo is so exciting, but -- well, dorm rooms? Roommates? It's like some get-into-college summer program gone out of control

     

  • At 5/08/2006 08:04:00 AM, Blogger La Lecturess wrote…

    I know that the Donne Society also sponsers a panel or two at Kzoo--which REALLY doesn't make sense. (However, it does give Inkhorn one more figleaf).

     

  • At 5/08/2006 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    Just ran into a colleague from a neighboring institution this morning who, when I asked how he was doing, gave me a rueful smile and said, "I'm operating on very little sleep -- I just got back from Michigan." Now, you expect this sort of thing from your average grad student or young prof -- the shake of the head, the false regrets about conference partying -- but this guy is a staid sixty! He's a reclusive (and brilliant) Spenserian! (Of course, those two adjectives, or at least the first, are often implied when one says "Spenserian.") He told me he loves staying in the dorms, loves seeing all his friends... he finally got around to praising the papers, and I was like, "Right. You're wiped out from being unable to sleep after hearing a thrilling paper on Mother Hubberd's Tale." Even the oldsters party in K'zoo.

     

  • At 5/08/2006 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Medievalist dorm room sex? Does that actually take place?

    Thrown in some SCA-ers and you might just have the freakiest party in academia.

    Please either disabuse me of these images or let me thank you for fundamentally reshaping--in somewhat scary ways--my naive conception of K'zoo.

     

  • At 5/08/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Why do you think New Kid spends so much time discussing the bedding?

    this hotel now has Sleep Number beds, and while they're not as nice as Tempurpedic, they're pretty close!

     

  • At 5/08/2006 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Inkhorn wrote…

    Oh, I've heard the Spenserians -- including those of a certain age -- really get down at Kalamazoo. I mean, it must be like being a member of some rare species: when you come across another one, let alone a whole pack, it's a celebration.

    What's the word for a pack of Spenserians?

     

  • At 5/08/2006 02:06:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    What's the word for a pack of Spenserians?

    "Sad"?

    Just a joke, people. I love Spenserians.

     

  • At 5/08/2006 10:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    Hee! Michael Drout told a story at the blogging panel about hearing loud medievalist sex next door at his first Kzoo (in the dorm). I'm told in fact that we youngsters (asst. profs and below) are in fact lame party poopers in comparison to the older generations, but personally I can't imagine how anyone gets it on in anyplace as icky as the dorms.

    (I should say that my own interest in bedding comes entirely to my devotion to sleep.)

     

  • At 5/08/2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Hieronimo wrote…

    Hi New Kid, and welcome...

    (I should say that my own interest in bedding comes entirely to my devotion to sleep.)

    Yeah, I figured that was the case judging by 1) your paeans to Tempurpedic; and 2) more importantly, you were staying in a hotel, not the fabled dorms.

    As for loud medievalist sex, I'm just at a loss for words...

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main