Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

'Tis the Season


The season for recommendations, that is. How many do junior professors typically write? I feel like I'm writing a fair number this year (about 15 so far), definitely more than I expected. But I can't tell whether this is because I underestimated how many junior professors usually write or whether I actually have a justifiable reason to kvetch.

I suspect it's the former, but I still want to complain.

Look at them--they're so eager and want so badly for me to invent new ways to say they're the best students ever!

  • At 11/29/2006 09:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote…

    My worst academic year: 40 recs.

    This wonderful year, only 15 so far, and most for colleagues and grad students, and that means that it's actually easy and fun because I get to learn about new work.

    And I still feel terrible about asking for them myself.

     

  • At 11/29/2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    My word, forty! The worst I ever heard from someone is 73(!), a number I took as so far outside the normal curve that I'd never have to worry about such a burden, but forty is similarly frightening. I clearly need to start writing these things more quickly than I am if I ever hope not to collapse under the weight of recommendations every fall.

     

  • At 12/01/2006 12:11:00 AM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    who are those strangely familiar people in your pic?

    I have a light letter load this fall, thankfully. I'd say I do around 10 a year.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main