Dramatis Personae
 


Many-Headed Multitude
[+/-] academic blogs
[+/-] other blogs we like


Our Ongoing Series

In Sad Conference
... live reports from the field
[+/-] RSA 2008
[+/-] SAA 2008
[+/-] MLA 2007
[+/-] SAA 2007
[+/-] RSA 2007
[+/-] MLA 2006
[+/-] SAA 2006
[+/-] RSA 2006


Read On This Book
... our occasional reading group
About the reading group
[+/-] Inkhorn reads the Anatomy [+/-] FS Boas, University Drama [+/-] D. Shuger, Political Theologies


The Motto Thus
... our silly woodcut caption contest
[+/-] Past Contests


More Foolery Yet
... which we write periodically
[+/-] Holzknecht Redivivus
[+/-] EEBOnics
[+/-] Notes and Queries

Thursday, March 09, 2006

oh, ph*ck

Well, I'm clearly going to be fired at some point. How about y'all?

When the semester started, Stephen E. Williams was teaching history at the Lancaster branch of Harrisburg Area Community College. But early in the semester, he stopped showing up, and his students received calls confirming the reason why: He had used the word “fuck” in class.

  • At 3/10/2006 08:18:00 PM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    Ummmm. Whilst talking to the cast of a Romeo and Juliet production recently, I was asked why the Capulets and Montagues hated each other. At some point during my explanation of the irrationality of neighbors' hatred for one another, I mentioned that I leave my snow-shovel on my front porch, and that, as a result, my neighbors probably "fucking hate me." I expect to hear from the Chancellor shortly.

     

  • At 3/11/2006 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    The mystery is why you were talking to the cast of a Romeo and Juliet production. What has your unnamed city done to you?

     

  • At 3/11/2006 02:27:00 PM, Blogger Greenwit wrote…

    Two students in my grad seminar last semester are from the theater department. They're the dramaturg and director of the production. they asked me to come talk about "spectacles of violence" in the renaissance. So I did. And then the kiddies peppered me with lots of kiddy questions. Did boys actually kiss each other on stage? Did they really watch dogs attack bears? And my favorite, "Could you talk about ideas about the family in the period?" I was all, "Uh, yes." It was like a trivia quiz that I knew all the answers to. Plus, since they're all actors, they gave me a round of applause at the end, which I think I deserve every time I get an answer right in general.

     

  • At 3/11/2006 03:55:00 PM, Blogger Simplicius wrote…

    Lucky! (said with Napoleon Dynamite-type inflection, i.e., "Luhhh-ckeeee")

    Another great thing: even if you're making up your answers, they'll (almost) never know.

     


 Scribble some marginalia



<< Main